Lingua Franca

I am the stone that the builder refused...

2006/02/19

It's like smack on film

I am addicted to documentaries. I go completely insane over several different people's attempts to reveal an objective truth, or smash it, or lay everything out on the table. I enjoy a good movie for sure. But when it comes down to it, I can watch documentaries for hours on end without stopping.

PBS has a documentary series called Frontline. It is pretty similar to CBC's the passionate eye but it is usually has more recurring documentarians. The CBC often co-produces a lot of the episodes. Now I will admit that they have a slightly leftist slant, but tough questions are tough questions no matter who asks them.

But, the great thing about these Frontline episodes is that PBS puts a lot of them online. Unfortunately this has resulted in me spending overly large numbers of hours in front of my computer watching them all, and I still can't get enough.

I can't help but think that documentaries should be a communal exercise. I can never find anyone who wants to have any sort of a "party" or group viewing of documentaries. I'm not sure I blame them. Sometimes docs can have really overt and powerful themes that don't fit the typical view of group activity. But I maintain that the emotions and questions asked by documentaries should be shared with friends and other people. After all, how many of you went with a group of people to see Fahrenheit 9/11?

I'm going to throw a documentary party.

In the meantime, check out some Frontline episodes online here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home