Lingua Franca

I am the stone that the builder refused...

2006/01/25

A random sampling of the population

I was getting my knee X-rayed on Monday.

As I sat in the sterile waiting room, I looked around at the 40 or so people also waiting for X-rays. I couldn't help but notice that all of them were older than 55. I know that I'm a poor judge of age, but to say some of them could have been younger than 55 was too liberal a statement even for me.

Canada is changing. I am slowly becoming a minority. Immigration is increasing and everyone is getting older. Canada is becoming older and multiracial.

I have no particular problem with this, except that it signals changes ahead. The more people who retire, the more I will have to prop up their pensions. The more people get older, the more they vote. Senior citizens always vote in large numbers. Very soon, I will be financing and following the political leanings of the older population.

What will Canada be like as the power shifts to an older population with far different demands?

Just musing, I have no real way of knowing. Perhaps it is time I considered leaving Canada altogether... permanently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home