Lingua Franca

I am the stone that the builder refused...

2005/10/11

Watch out Europe, I am coming to fuck you up...

Or, how I decided there wasn't much left to do here and move on.

I have recently placed a deposit on a course for ESL certification so that I will be qualified to teach English overseas. I have done this because I am currently bored with Canada, Ottawa in particular, and because I long to see the rest of the world before the continents ram into each other.

I don't really feel like I have anything here. I have my friends, but they will be my friends no matter where I go. And most of them have already left the city anyway. I have no career prospects, no wife, no steady girlfriend, no house, nor mortgage.

Why shouldn't I go?

There is no reason whatsoever. So I'm doing it, hands down. I am bristling with excitement. I can hardly wait until I get there. I still have a few months to go until my lease is up... but then the sky is the limit.

For someone like me who has traveled very little, as in, to a few American cities and not much else, this will be a blast. I long for the immersion in a separate and distinct culture. And not in the Quebec sense either.

I'm thinking Eastern Europe.

I can hardly explain why, but this seems like the place to go. Most nations seem to be trying to get into the European union, or are very new to it. English being the lingua franca of the EU, it seems like 1. they would have the most job prospects and 2. this is a great opportunity to see Eastern cultures merging into the West.

I'm thinking the Czech Republic... why not? Prague seems nice at any time of the year.

8 months is a long time to go, but I'll get there.

Oh, and the name of the blog has changed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home