Lingua Franca

I am the stone that the builder refused...

2005/11/30

Support your local independent musicians...

Unless they suck of course.

It has been a long wait for me. I have waited with patience, impatience, insecurity and hopefulness for the eventual release of the Polytones' full length album. That day has finally come and You and I were made of dynamite... the first full length from the Ottawa pop quartet has finally come to fruition.

I feel as though I have been having sex for several hours. At the point where it begins to become awkward for the parties involved, orgasm is finally achieved.

I don't understand that metaphor either. I need to get out more.


For those of you unaware of the Ottawa music scene, the Polytones are a band of several years who have been playing around the region as well as at a few nearby cities, getting good press and wowing concert goers of all ages. They are good, really good. I have attended nearly every concert since the first time I saw them, by chance, opening for another band at the now defunct Zaphod's II.

When they released their EP, I could not acquire it fast enough. Everyone I dragged to a concert was impressed and purchased a CD of their very own. They were doing great and there was fun times to be had by all.

And then nothing...

Concerts dropped to a trickle, a posting on their website declared they were in the works, creating a full length CD. The release date came and went, was moved, came and went again several times.


In any case, all I have been ever able to do is wait. Now my waiting has paid off and December 3rd will go down in history (for me) as the day some of the finest independent Ottawa musicians gave me the product I have yearned for.

I'm not really sure how much more I can elaborate on the subject. The lead singer and the drummer are very attractive. I would comment on the bassist and guitarist but my heterosexual leanings have given me poor judgment. But these aren't reasons for liking the band anyway.

Sometimes I lead myself to wonder why bands like the Polytones can be relegated to the obscurity of a local Ottawa music scene while such atrocious artists top the charts of radio and television with nothing more than a set of tits and a song designed so 11 year olds can sing along on the bus and feel talented.

But realistically, I don't have to get the music industry. I can find what I like and I make sure to support it, and make sure other like minded people support it. The alternative (mainstream) would be almost too much for me to deal with.

Like a relationship, you have to tell the other person you love them from time to time, otherwise you lose them. Even at that, you have to understand that you may still lose them, no matter how much you invest into the relationship.

So when I see an opportunity to see the Polytones in concert yet again and an opportunity to buy their newest release, I see the perfect chance to remind them that there are fans out there who love them.

And God dammit, it will be a wicked time at that.

More info here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home